Annica Reads

This a companion Blog to Annica Abounds-it is all about what I have read and what I like to read.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ferndale, Michigan, United States

I am a 35 yr old, newly married mother of one daughter. I am a Buddhist and a Witch.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Harry Potter and Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling

This is book is not at all what I expected. Let me start off by saying that the 4th book-Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is my favorite and that the 5th book-Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is my least favorite. Let me follow that by saying that this novel, the 6th is, in my opinion, by far the best in the series. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Hagrid, Dumbledore, Draco and even Snape grow and change during this book. Voldemort develops substance and the blinding, panicky fear that even the mere mention of his name arouses in Witches and Wizards begins to seem justified. The Half-Blood Prince is not who I ever in my wildest dreams imagined it was, though I had already decided that the 'prince'-the true identity-was not a friend. This book also has heartbreak, terrible, horrible heartbreak and I must admit that I sobbed-which I rarely ever do when reading a novel. I do believe that the upcoming 7th book will be the end of this series and let me just say that I am not so sure-as I once was-that my favorite, beloved characters will all make it to the end.
Also, this book is not for young children. It is by far the darkest and saddest of the books yet.
This review was written the sunday after the book was released. At the time I was trying not give away any details and ruin the story for others. It has been a few months now and so i feel comfortable saying that Dumbledores death totally broke my heart. The scene where Hagrid is carrying him to the funeral pyre was truly touching. I refused to believe that Dumbledore was dead and kept waiting for the deception to be exposed. I still like to think that Dumbledore will be back-his animal is the Pheonix-which rises from the ashes and his body was torched-so I am ever hopeful. I am also very curious and anxious to see what form the next book takes and to see what Rowling will write next. I am not ready to say bye to Harry or the Weasley's or Hermione or even Hogwarts!
~~~~Where ever you go, There you are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home