Annica Reads

This a companion Blog to Annica Abounds-it is all about what I have read and what I like to read.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ferndale, Michigan, United States

I am a 35 yr old, newly married mother of one daughter. I am a Buddhist and a Witch.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Well, I finally read the Southern Vampire Series-of which this is the first book. I have to say that the series itself for very reasonable, but I did not much care for the first novel.
Sookie Stackhouse is a waitress is a bar in a small southern town in Louisiana-VERY outisde of New Orleans. She is kind of a pariah in her small town, due largely to her "disability"-of being able to read minds. Needless to say it has prevented her from dating, having any real or meaningful sex life and even cut down on her friends. People do not like it when you know what they are thinking-sometimes even before they do.
Sookies parents died when she young and she and her womanizing brother Jason were raised by her grandmother. Sookie still lives with her grandma but her brother lives in the home thier parents left them.
Sookie has been waiting to meet a vampire since they "came out of the coffin" 4 years ago but while they are often in New Orleans they are rarely anywhere in Lousiana. Then one night Bill walks into Sookies restaurant and her life is never quite the same again.
The book was ok and the rest of the series I liked much better. I am not sure if it is the small all white small-minded judgemental southern town. Or that the only non-white characters in the first couple books are a dirty cop and a transvestite cook? Whatever it is something about Harris' writing rubbed me the wrong way in the first novel in this series. They did grow on me.

~~~~Where ever you go, There you are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home